Greek God Zeus - Master of the Universe
Greek God Zeus is depicted in many stories in Greek Mythology as the Supreme Ruler of the universe, an all-knowing and all-powerful greek god. But with this power also came many responsibilities:
- Zeus handed down the laws that governed the behavior of mortals and immortals and ensure they were obeyed.
- Zeus enforced any oaths sworn upon the gods.
- Zeus pronounced certain oracles for, like many of the greek gods, Zeus often knew what the future held.
- As ruler of heavens, Zeus imposed order on the universe. He placed all the planets and stars in the sky.
- He also commanded meterological phenomena. Thunder and lightning are his most powerful weapons.
Although Zeus was the supreme ruler, he did not lord over other gods with an iron first. Zeus maintained his power through wisdom and justice. Though not exactly benevolent, Zeus was mostly sensible and fair in his rule. In mediating conflicts between gods, Zeus demonstrated both impartiality and good judgement. He often used compromise as the quickest route to justice.
- When Poseidon and Athena wanted to serve as the patron of Athens, Zeus chose to remain netural, putting the dispute before a tribunal of other gods.
- In a similar dispute between the two Olympians over Troezen, Zeus ruled that both should share the city equally, but the solution satifised neither of the gods.
- When Demeter demanded the return of her daugher Persephone from Hades, Zeus ruled that the girl should spend part of the year with ther mother and part of it with her new husband.
- When both Persephone and Aphrodite claimed the right to rear Adonis, Zeus found a solution that demanded mutual compromise.
Zeus - A Love Addict ?
If Zeus had one weakness (just like most of the other greek gods), it would have to be his insatiable lust. Zeus slept with many greek goddess and mortals. A few were even his aunts and sisters. Some of the lucky (or unlunky) gods / mortals who slept with Zeus:
- Metis - A beutiful Oceanid, gave birth to Athena.
- Themis - A Titaness and beautiful aunt. Gave birth to the three Horae (Seasons) : Eunomia (Law and Order), Dike (Justice), and Eirene (Peace), and the three Moirai (Fates): the sisters Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos, who mete out every mortal's life span and his or her share of good and evil. These six daughters completed the creation by bringing order to chaos.
- Eurynome - A Ocenaid and sister of Metis. Gave birth to three Graces Algaia, Euphrosyne, and Thalia who personified the abstract qualities of beauty, grace and charm.
- Demeter - Sister of Zeus, produced Persephone, who became the Queen of the Underworld, against her mother's wishes.
- Mnemosyne - Gave brith to the nine Muses.
- Leto - Mother of Apollo and Artemis
- Semele - Mother of Dionysus.
- Hera - Gave birth to three children Ares (god of war), Hebe, a perpetually youthful beauty and Eileithyia, a goddess in childbirth.
- Maia - Mother of Hermes.
- Leda - Mother of Helen and Polydeuces.
You can also enjoy all the thrills and adventures of Zeus by playing the Zeus Lightning Power Reels Slot Game